Thursday, May 15, 2014

Proof is in the Jennifer

I admit to having a never-ending soft spot for all of “The L Word” alumni. Such a talented cast, alas, made to suffer so much. And I’m always happy to see when they land successfully elsewhere. (Oh, hai, Sarah Shahi – I wish I’d watched “Person of Interest” from the start now like my mom kept telling me to.) Over the years I’ve seen them come (it’s the Soup Chef on “CSI!”) and go (there goes Tasha on “Chase!”) Though, sorry Shane, I just can’t get into “Ray Donovan.”

I’ve been particularly interested in Jennifer Beals’ career comings and goings since the show. I thought she was pretty damn good on “The Chicago Code.” The uniform helped. But now, looks like she is back at another shot at her own show. And, darn it, I want this one to stick. Next year she’ll be back on our TVs with “Proof,” a new medical/supernatural drama on TNT. And it looks, well, it looks pretty damn good.



Things I like: Jennifer Beals, Jennifer Beals in scrubs, Jennifer Beals in a suit… But actually, this search for “proof” of what happens after we die already has me hooked. I love a good mystery, and they don’t get much bigger than this one. Sure, Matthew Modine is playing an obvious Steve Jobs-like billionaire who is funding it all. But the premise is intriguing. I also like that it is executive produced by Kyra Sedgwick, a lady who knows all about cable’s capacity to showcase talented female leads. Plus, little kids talking about unseen forces is always creepy. And, fine, it doesn’t hurt that we get to see shades of Alpha Bette. That wall slam was damn near vintage. Yep, sign me up. I’ve got all the proof I need.

p.s. Hey, TNT, pair this show with “Rizzoli & Isles” and it’ll be the badass ladies bloc/make my DVR very happy.

p.p.s. If all else fails, just greenlight Jennifer in “Cop-Puter.” You know that thing is a guaranteed hit.

6 comments:

Helena said...

All I see is Bette Porter :)Just love this woman and will watch it for sure.

Anonymous said...

Sign me up!

Anonymous said...

I'm a total whuss...get nightmares from scary stuff. Never saw 6th sense or Hannibal. But this is Bette freakin' Porter! Hand me remote and some Ambien.

azinthesun said...

See Jennifer at the UPFRONT event for TNT/TBS. She must be the female Dorian Gray. NO way she is 50 years old. Daaayum!

https://tv.yahoo.com/photos/tnt-and-tbs-network-2014-upfront-1400085594-slideshow/

Ximena said...

Ohhhh I love shows with a medical tilt and, well, I don't mind watching Bette. *Programs DVR*

egghead said...

Interesting subject. And Jennifer Beals is purrrfect. Meeee-yow.